
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major. Say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. Say that I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things in life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. And that's all I want to say. If I can help somebody as I pass along, if I can cheer somebody with a word or song, if I can show somebody he is traveling wrong, then my living will not be in vain."
Excerpted from "The Drum Major Instinct", a sermon by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., 1968. Available on CD and print in A Knock At Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major. Say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. Say that I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things in life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. And that's all I want to say. If I can help somebody as I pass along, if I can cheer somebody with a word or song, if I can show somebody he is traveling wrong, then my living will not be in vain."
Excerpted from "The Drum Major Instinct", a sermon by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., 1968. Available on CD and print in A Knock At Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.
-
Some additional information about a life well lived...indeed very well lived:
-
Note: I feel there is little that I can say about Dr. King. His words and his life speak volumes of what God desires to do in the lives of those that follow Him!
2 comments:
"Everybody can be great..." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I have a dream. My dream is that everybody can be great. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said it well:
"Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle . . . (or) Einstein's Theory of Relativity. . . (or) the Second Theory of Thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love."
I agree. I believe that true greatness is related to loving and serving others. And everyone with will and thought, can do it. That's one of the biggest reasons why I love Jesus, because He served. He washed the feet of His disciples. Pastor David,big> said last Saturday night at service that he did a lot of growing while cleaning his friend's church's bathrooms. Now, that is inspiring. ;-)
I'm glad we have Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. day.
May we all overcome our obstacles to be the change in the world that we seek!
Wow, very inspiring quote!
Post a Comment