Thursday, January 15, 2009

earthly discontent: eternal decisions

Revelation 20:11 11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Jeff Lilley at Hume Lake mentioned this passage at a retreat years ago. He spoke about what a “sobering” thought it was that the earth and the heaven fled from the very face of God, but that we will all be there…and we will not be able to leave. I think about what it will be like on that day and I wonder about people that I know that would be cast into the lake of fire (especially those that I failed to share the gospel with). I think about this passage just about every single weekend, every single service. I think about this passage…during altar call. I look into the eyes of people and I wonder: do you know Jesus? Do you really know Him? I see the look on someone’s face as they contemplate the most important decision they could ever make. I pray that I did my best preaching. I pray for the Holy Spirit to move their heart. I pray for them to make a wise decision…and I pray that I will be more effective preaching next week.

No comments: