Todd Clark posted a great blog about Tiger that I thought others might want to read. (My comments also below)
http://toddclark.typepad.com/toddclarkorg/2009/12/tiger-woods-ups-downs.html
Tigers "favorable" rating dropped to 33% in the latest poll conducted this week vs. 85% from his last poll in June 2005.
Woods posted the highest popularity rating in poll history — 88% — when Gallup first measured him in 2000. The 52-point swing is the largest drop between consecutive measurements since Gallup began tracking it in 1992.
Simultaneously the Associated Press announced today that Tiger Woods has been named the "Athlete of the Decade."
It just think about how interesting it is that a person can be winning awards publicly & losing hearts privately at the same time.
As I was once told by Bob Russell, former Senior Pastor of Southeast Christian Church, "do not believe your own press clippings."
I am pretty sure Tiger does not feel like the athlete of the decade today ~ even though that is what the press clippings proclaim.
Make no mistake about it, our private actions will one day effect our public perceptions, popularity and platform.
I am praying for Tiger as well as all those who might be tempted to ignore the link between our public and private lives.
Posted by Todd Clark at 09:12 AM | Permalink
Great article Todd and great quote: "don't believe your own press clippings."
The highs and the lows for all of us aren't nearly as good or as bad as they seem.
Tiger was referred to as a class act when he had a bad temper, foul mouth (in front of kids) and rarely signed autographs.
Now, he's a terrible person.
In the meantime, not one thing has changed about him, just who knows his secrets.
Being famous and extraordinarily wealthy has some drawbacks.
It's pretty amazing that God knows ALL of our secrets and still loves us!
I also continue to pray for Tiger - a guy who can't hit a fairway with a driver to save his life, but is still the greatest golfer of all time. I pray that he turns a corner in life and allows God to work on what's important in his life.
Dave Macer