When I was young, I was an idealist. I like to think that I am so much wiser and more pragmatic now...but sometimes, I am not so sure. Maybe a return to idealism would do us some good?
We approach the end of the year.
We approach the beginning of a new year.
I think that the very first sermon I ever preached in a church was on New Years Eve a number of years ago...and I loved the timing of it. So much to talk about. So much to challenge people with. So much to challenge myself with.
A couple of years ago, I overheard a conversation in an office. A young lady said something like: "I don't make new years resolutions anymore. I've seen how most people don't keep them anyways, so I just don't make them anymore".
Hmmfff!
Sooooooooooooo...that is the conclusion that you came to?
In all your years of wisdom?
This young lady came to a conclusion that it would be better to never strive for a better life, than to strive in many areas , but fail in some parts? It seems to me that she neglected a rather huge point (or two). What about the people that do keep their resolutions? If you are correct that most people don't keep their resolutions, then some people do!
And perhaps more importantly, even the people that fail to keep their resolutions are better off than the one who has given up in life. If I try to get on an exercize program and give up after 2 months...at least the two months were better than they otherwise would have been!
More importanlty, it concerns me so much when people give up. People are cynicle now about so many things. The direction of the country? Awful? Sure. No doubt. Yet, Christ told us this is how it would be before He came back. His return is closer than it's ever been. Don't give up.
Don't sit on the sidelines and get lethargic. We need players to engage the culture. We need you. Christ will win with or without you. But, He gave each one of us the privilage of joining the winning team. I am so excited about the possibilities of this coming year. We have a great church that is making a difference. I think we are at 25 baptisms with more scheduled!
The end of the year?
It's time to dream.
It's time to dream big.
It's time to dream God kind of dreams!
No comments:
Post a Comment